Wednesday, October 24, 2012

What Kate Likes: Netflix TV

I am kind of a Netflix addict. There, I said it. It's just so convenient! I only do the instant streaming, so I'm not sure what it's like getting the DVDs in the mail (do people do that still?), but I'm pretty satisfied with the selection. There are way more TV shows than movies, and the movie selection is kind of weird and random sometimes, but overall it's worth the $8 a month.

I feel like writing a Netflix post now is like 5 years overdue (it's fine, whatever), but I've found some pretty great shows and movies that I think are awesome and need to be viewed by everyone on the planet.



via 
1. Sherlock.
I discovered Sherlock through one of my friends. Due to our mutual love of BBC shows and historical/literary shows, he thought I would love it. And of course, he was right. Basically it's a modern retelling of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes stories, and while that sounds weird, it's totally great. It's well-written, original, and you get hooked on it super fast. Plus Benedict Cumberbatch has the greatest name in the history of names. My only issue is that each season is SO short--only 3 episodes. Each episode is 2ish hours long, but I wish the seasons were longer.

2. Murdoch Mysteries
This is a Canadian show and I so wish I lived in Canada so I could catch up on seasons 4-6 since Netflix doesn't have them yet!! Basically Murdoch Mysteries is the 1890s version of CSI. The series follows Detective William Murdoch as he solves crimes (mostly murders) using the techniques available in the 1890s and some of the "newer" technology. It's fascinating to see how crimes were solved without any of the high-tech gadgets we have now, as well as seeing what life was like back then. One of my favorite things about the show is Dr. Julia Ogden, the medical examiner, mostly because she's a great strong female lead and it's really interesting seeing a woman in an (for the time) all-male profession and how the different characters react. Definitely one of my favorite shows.

3. Parenthood
I'm a few years late in discovering this show (apparently I never watch real TV channels enough...), but I caught up on the first 3 seasons quickly enough to now be up to date on the current season (Season 4). Oh my goodness. I love how multi-dimensional each character is and how well-written the show as a whole is. Some of the characters/storylines annoy me at times, but that's because they're so lifelike. I always want to go give my parents a big hug after each episode and thank them for everything they do for their children, because this show really does show what everyday struggles parents go through, what sacrifices they make, and how they unconditionally love their children. I typically cry at least once per episode, so make sure you watch with tissues. Team Braverman for life!

4. Murder, She Wrote
This is the comfort food of my Netflix queue. Whenever I've had a rough day or need to be cheered up or whatever, I turn to Jessica Fletcher and her endless supply of nieces, nephews, and cousins and everything is instantly better. Netflix has all 12 seasons (YAY!) so I'm rewatching them in order. Basically, Jessica Fletcher is a widow-turned-mystery writer who travels around the globe visiting people and places and someone just so happens to get murdered wherever she goes. Jessica then helps solve the mystery and saves the day (duh). I love how cheesy and 80s things can get (pay phones! computers that type in that weird font! floppy disks being the latest technology!), but it's endearingly sweet. I want to be JB Fletcher's sidekick forever and ever and hang out in Cabot Cove, Maine annoying Sheriff Tupper. So great. Angela Lansbury is the best. THE BEST, y'all.


So. Those are my top 4 shows. Do you have Netflix? What shows do you think I NEED to see? Let me know in the comments and I'll check them out!

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love getting your comments! Make sure to have an email address connected with your account so I can respond to you!

xx